Use your leftover ham bone to create a healthy bone broth (stock) to use for many more recipes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
To make Ham Stock you will need:
- ham bone
- Instant Pot
- freezer containers
I typically publish several new recipes every week. Want to get them in your inbox? SUBSCRIBE!
Ham stock is a great use of the ham bone that you have left from cooking a ham, whether it is for a holiday feast, or any other reason. I love to save money and stretch a meal into making more meals than it might have.
You can use ham stock when making soups. It would be wonderful in a vegetable or potato soup.
When you have finished with your ham, take the bone and place it in your Instant Pot. Add in some carrots, celery and onion and water. I do not add any salt or other seasonings, because I prefer to do that when I am actually using the broth in another recipe.
After making the stock, the liquid is strained and chilled for several hours or overnight so that the fat can be removed. This is an important step, even if you are not eating a reduced fat diet.
If fat is left in the stock, it can alter the flavor and cause it to go rancid. You don’t want the wonderful flavor of your stock to be harmed in any way.
This recipe makes about 4 quarts of ham stock. I freeze mine in freezer containers.
Have you tried this recipe? Please rate this recipe below in the recipe card! If you make any recipe from Wholesome Skillet, I would love for you to share it on Instagram – use the tag @WholesomeSkillet so that I see it & Don’t forget to save it on Pinterest!
- 1 ham bone, leftover from a meal, with as much meat removed as possible
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and halved or quartered
- Place your ham bone, carrots, celery and onion in the Instant Pot.
- Fill with water up to the "Full" line.
- Close and seal your Instant Pot.
- Using the manual setting, adjust the controls to run for 240 minutes (4 hours) on low pressure.
- Once the cycle has completed, repeat it and have it run another 4 hours.
- When the stock has finished cooking, turn off the Instant Pot and let the ham stock cool to room temperature.
- Strain the liquid and discard the solids.
- Place the liquid in a container cover with foil or a lid, and place in the refrigerator to chill for several hours or overnight. (I simply wipe out the IP insert and use it)
- Skim the fat from the top of the chilled broth.
- Freeze the stock in portions for future use, or use as you wish.
Serving Size:1/2 c
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 22Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g