Making your own marinara for your dishes is very easy to do and takes just a few minutes. Make it even quicker in your Instant Pot.
I love making my own marinara, because not only does it taste great, but it also saves money! This marinara recipe starts with a simple can of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, then you add your own seasonings and flavor to it.
You can also adjust the seasonings to your taste. Like a little more or less garlic? Want some more oregano, or less salt? You have total control over the ingredients.
What You Need for this Recipe:
- cutting board and knife
- canned tomato sauce
- canned diced tomatoes
- avocado oil
- tomato sauce
- Italian seasoning
- red wine
- sea salt
- black pepper
- bay leaf
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Instant Pot
I typically publish new recipes every week. Want to get them in your inbox? SUBSCRIBE!
You’ll start this recipe like so many other, by sauteing the onion in oil until it is just tender.
Once the onions are tender, you all in all of the wonderful flavors that turn the tomato base into a rich marinara sauce.
Then it runs a quick cycle in the Instant Pot.
Once you have your marinara made, you can use it for your favorite pasta dish.
Now I will say, that when it comes to kids, many of them out there don’t like chunks of tomatoes. Maybe you have a “grown-up” kid in your family who likes tomato things, but really don’t like the texture of tomatoes.
I’ll be honest, I am one of those texture-driven, finicky food people, and a couple of the members of my family are as well.
I want to love the textures of tomatoes. I have tried to love the texture of tomatoes.
I just can’t.
So what I do, is when the marinara is finished cooking, I just take an immersion blender and blend it until it is smooth.
And everyone rejoices over the smooth marinara.
If you like this marinara sauce recipe, you may also like my Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce.
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 c diced onion
- 1 Tb avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tb parsley
- 1 Tb Italian seasoning
- 1/4 c red wine
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- To begin, add the oil to your Instant Pot and press the saute button.
- When the oil is hot, add in the diced onion and saute it until it is just tender.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients. Omit the red pepper flakes if you are making this for young children, or don't like any heat.
- Close and seal your Instant Pot. Adjust the manual settings to cook for 5 minutes on high pressure. Let your Instant Pot do its thing.
- Once the cycle has completed, you can allow the pressure to come down naturally, or if you are in a hurry, do the quick release method.
- Find and discard the bay leaf.
- Optional: Use an immersion blender to make the sauce smooth, if you don't like a chunky marinara.
- Use your marinara any way you like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 43Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.