Coffee extract is a flavoring used in recipes, similarly to vanilla extract. It has great flavor, but unfortunately is very difficult to find in most stores. So make your own!
Making your own coffee extract is extremely simple. The main ingredient: patience. Once you put the ingredients together, you will need to wait a good while before it is ready for use in your recipes.
Making this extract is just as easy as making Homemade Vanilla Extract, except coffee extract doesn’t take quite as long.
To Make this recipe you will need:
- good quality coffee beans
- glass bottle with cork or a mason jar with lid
I typically publish new recipes every week. Want to get them in your inbox? SUBSCRIBE!
When you put the ingredients together, use quality coffee beans. The better the beans, the better the flavor in your extract.
You’ll being by placing your coffee beans in a glass jar with a lid or cork. You could also use a mason jar if you don’t have a bottle handy.
Additionally, if you like, you can crush the coffee beans. That will allow the flavor of the beans to work its way into the vodka even better.
Pour in the vodka, close the bottle and set it in a cupboard. Give the bottle a little shake quite frequently – at least a couple times a week, but daily is better. I store the bottle of extract in the cupboard where I keep my coffee, since it is a cabinet that I go into every day. When I see the bottle, I give it a little shake.
After a month or so, your vodka will have taken on the dark, rich color of a nicely brewed cup of coffee.
How to Use Coffee Extract
This can be used in many recipes, in particular any baked good that has a coffee flavor. Substitute it for vanilla extract in chocolate recipes like Flourless Chocolate Muffins.
Experiment with it and see what you think!
- 2 cups vodka
- 1 c whole coffee beans
- Combine the coffee beans and vodka in a glass container. A bottle or jar.
- Close the container and set it in a cupboard for 1 month. Each day, give the jar or bottle a quick shake to stir it up.
- After the extract has brewed and the vodka has taken on the beautiful coffee flavor, strain the liquid and remove the beans.
- Store the extract in a cool, dark place and use in ingredients as needed.