This simple chicken tagine has a whole lot going for it. With lemon, prunes and olives, not to mention all of the fresh herbs, it is packed with flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Traditionally, Moroccan tagine is a dish that is slow cooked inside a earthenware pot. But a tagine recipe can very easily be transformed into a slow cooker dish, or in this case an Instant Pot one.
To Make this Chicken Tagine in your Instant Pot, you will need:
- chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- fresh thyme
- fresh oregano
- black pepper
- green olives
- white wine vinegar
- chicken broth
- Instant Pot
I typically publish several new recipes every week. Want to get them in your inbox? SUBSCRIBE!
When it comes to simple recipes, you really can’t get any easier than this one. It all begins by simply placing your chicken inside the Instant Pot.
Finely mince some fresh oregano leaves. Place those and some fresh thyme in with the chicken.
Layer on some lemon slices.
Next, you will sprinkle in the rest of the seasonings: garlic, salt and pepper. Toss in the quartered olives and chopped prunes, as well as some capers.
Finally, you will add in the liquids, close and seal your Instant Pot. Then press the “manual” button and run it for 35 minutes on high pressure.
Once it has cooked, you can let the pressure come down naturally, or you can do a quick release.
Just look at how gorgeous this dish is! Tagine is often served with couscous or rice, but you might enjoy it with Homemade Cauliflower Rice instead.
Can I Make this In a Slow Cooker?
Yes! To make the chicken tagine in a slow cooker, simply place all of the ingredients inside the cooker instead of an Instant Pot. Cover and cook the tagine on low heat for 5-6 hours. You could also cook it on high for 3-4 hours, if you prefer.
Have you tried this recipe? Please rate this recipe below in the recipe card! If you make any recipe from Wholesome Skillet, I would love for you to share it on Instagram – use the tag @WholesomeSkillet so that I see it & Don’t forget to save it on Pinterest!
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp fresh minced oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/2 c green pitted olives, quartered
- 1/3 prunes, diced
- 1 Tb capers
- 2 Tb white wine vinegar
- 1 c chicken broth (or stock)
- To begin, simply place your chicken inside the Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle in the minced garlic, thyme, oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Lay the lemon slices all over the top.
- Sprinkle in the olives, prunes and capers.
- Pour in the white wine vinegar and the broth.
- Close and seal your Instant Pot.
- Press the “manual” button and run it for 35 minutes on high pressure.
- Once it has cooked, you can let the pressure come down naturally, or you can do a quick release.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 209mg Sodium: 998mg Carbohydrates: 5g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 42g
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday.